Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Monday, May 18, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

Subway soda war forces owners to choose Pepsi over Coke or risk losing franchises

in Business
Reading Time: 3 mins read
387 24
A A
0
Subway soda war forces owners to choose Pepsi over Coke or risk losing franchises
137
SHARES
6.9k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare


Subway franchise owners – many of whom are in revolt over the chain’s $6.99 footlong sub promotion – face the risk of losing their businesses in a heated skirmish over the company’s change in soda suppliers, The Post has learned.

Parent company Roark, which bought the family-owned chain in April, plans to switch from Subway’s long-time contract with Coca-Cola to Pepsi at the start of the year and had given franchise owners a Friday deadline to sign the new 10-year pact, sources said.

Those that fail to agree risk the ability to “serve beverages in 2025, which may result in the default of your franchisee agreement,” according to an email recently sent by Subway Franchise Support Services that was viewed by The Post.   

Subway CEO John Chidsey has become unpopular with franchisees, similar to what happened when he ran Burger King. Subway
Subway, America’s biggest fast food chain, is moving from Coke to Pepsi at the beginning of the year. Christopher Sadowski

But a Subway franchise group that represents about half of its 20,000 North American restaurants has balked at urging members to sign the deal because the financial details have been kept under wraps, several owners told The Post.

“The continued insistence that we sign this agreement without full disclosure…including detailed costs of products and service fees, is wholly unacceptable,”  Bill Mathis, chair of the North American Association of Subway Franchisees (NAASF), wrote in a recent private blog sent to members that was seen by The Post.

“This lack of transparency is tantamount to asking us to sign a blank check, which no reasonable business owner would agree to.”

Roark – which also owns Dunkin’ Brands and Arby’s – uses Pepsi at all of its other chains. 

The owners suspect Roark gets a bulk price discount and doesn’t want its franchisees knowing the rate, and perhaps any rebates it might collect for themselves, sources said.

Subway had shared the details of its prior 20-year contract with Coke and the franchisees own the Coke equipment.

Roark, Subway and NAASF’s lawyer did not return calls or declined comment.

North American Association of Subway Franchisees Chair Bill Mathis is taking a forceful stance against the chain. Restaurant Business/YouTube

Mathis has also advised the group’s members to ignore the $6.99 promotion, as The Post previously reported.

The promo, slated to run through Sept. 8, was revealed to franchisees on an Aug. 15 conference call that one franchisee dubbed an “emergency” meeting, as it was organized just a week earlier, The Post reported.

Aside from the soda wars and rebellion over the footlong promo, NAASF is also demanding that Subway CEO John Chidsey scrap the meat slicers that were mandated for all stores last year.

“Injuries are taking place, which is of great concern,” Mathis wrote in a letter sent to Chidsey on Aug. 14.

Subway’s franchisees wants slicers removed. TikTok / @pepper925

Mathis, who did not provide further details about how many have been hurt, also railed that Subway “has not provided data showing that slicers are driving profits, sales, and customer counts” since they were installed to better compete against upstart Jersey Mike’s.

Subway said that slicing the meats is saving the company $25 million a year because it doesn’t have to buy pre-cut slices and those savings are passed on to store operators, sources said.

The slicers were among several grievances directed at Chidsey during the franchise group annual meeting Wednesday at the Seaspice Brasserie and Lounge in Miami, sources told The Post.

Subway’s $6.99 footlong promotion that is upsetting franchisees runs through Sept. 8. Subway

Chidsey was not in attendance.  He has infuriated franchisees since taking over as CEO in November 2019, not only with orders to discount sandwiches but directives to perform costly renovations despite razor-thin margins.

Another contentious issue has been the relatively new Fresh Loc Lids used to cover the meats.

Mathis said the lids could dissuade customers who demand “total transparency.”

“For a company that spent many years talking about having fresh food made in front of the customer, it’s a 180-degree shift to now ‘hide’ our food,” Mathis wrote in his letter to Chidsey speaking for all the NAASF directors.

[Notigroup Newsroom in collaboration with other media outlets, with information from the following sources]

Tags: Businessfast foodpepsipepsicosubway sandwiches
Previous Post

Elon Musk suggests he’ll limit travel to countries with ‘constitutionally protected’ free speech

Next Post

Dunkin’ rolls out $6 breakfast meal as fast food war heats up

Related Posts

Kwiat NYC Flagship store at 713 Madison Avenue.
Business

Madison Avenue is still shopping’s gold standard

May 17, 2026
illustration four people sitting holding paper wit a red and white now hiring sign behind them and robots all around them
Business

Artificial intelligence job screeners prefer AI-written resumes over human ones, researchers find

May 16, 2026
Gary Vaynerchuk
Business

Trading cards are now a $50 billion global industry

May 15, 2026
David Letterman and Stephen Colbert trash CBS furniture in rooftop revenge stunt
Business

David Letterman and Stephen Colbert trash CBS furniture in rooftop revenge stunt

May 15, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Dunkin' rolls out $6 breakfast meal as fast food war heats up

Dunkin' rolls out $6 breakfast meal as fast food war heats up

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Sam Houston State football player William Davis dead at 22
  • PGA Championship winner Aaron Rai’ wife, Gaurika Bishnoi, also a golf star
  • House money no longer on table for Knicks as pain of brutal past playoff failures linger
  • Cavaliers dismantle Pistons in Game 7, earn Eastern Conference finals date with Knicks
  • Heroes, zeros from Mets’ Subway Series win

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Sam Houston State football player William Davis dead at 22
  • PGA Championship winner Aaron Rai’ wife, Gaurika Bishnoi, also a golf star
  • House money no longer on table for Knicks as pain of brutal past playoff failures linger

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,949)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,683)
  • Technology (6,992)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.