Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Monday, May 18, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Sinai merger bid to free up prized East Village land hits snag

in Business
Reading Time: 7 mins read
390 21
A A
0
Mount Sinai merger bid to free up prized East Village land hits snag
137
SHARES
6.8k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare

Mount Sinai Beth Israel’s under-the-radar plan to sell off precious East Village real estate hit a roadblock when a key New York State Department of Health committee declined to approve the hospital system’s proposal to merge New York Eye and Ear Infirmary into its Beth Israel division.

Mount Sinai is the parent corporation of NYEEI. The Infirmary owns two buildings and some vacant land on Second Avenue between East 13th and East 14th streets, which sources said could fetch up to $70 million if sold for apartment-building construction.

One building, 218 Second Ave., dates to 1902 and was the setting for a scene in “The Godfather” when Al Pacino rescued Marlon Brando from an assassination attempt.

Dr. Howard Berliner, a DOH panel member who voted against the merger last week, alluded at the hearing to concerns that Mount Sinai aimed to dismantle NYEEI so that it could cash in on a property sale.

“If I was a real estate developer I would be drooling at the prospect of getting the [NYEEI] site in the East Village, probably one of the hottest markets in New York City,” Berliner said.

As we reported in June, Mount Sinai has been slowly relocating facilities and staff from the Second Avenue sites to other locations that are part of the Mount Sinai Beth Israel network. The relocated departments included surgery, clinical and ambulatory units.


218 Second Ave. dates to 1902 and was the setting for a scene in “The Godfather” when Al Pacino rescued Marlon Brando from an assassination attempt.

The DOH panel, known as the New York Public Health and Health Planning Council, voted 11-6 to approve the merger, but it was three votes short of the number needed under the panel’s rules. Those who voted no said that among other issues, Mount Sinai had kept the community in the dark about its plans and dodged questions from the DOH itself.

The committee’s vote is not the final word, as it must be affirmed by DOH Acting Commissioner James V. McDonald, who was named to the post on Jan. 1. A source said it was “rare” for a commissioner to overrule the planning council.

The merger plan is a necessary step toward dismantling the Infirmary to facilitate a sale of the property. If Mount Sinai’s proposal is ultimately shot down, it means that any sale of the real estate would have to be approved by the NYEEI board — which would be dissolved in a merger.

State and city officials recently wrote to Mount Sinai CEO Kenneth Davis urging it to “pause” its proposal. The politicians as well as many NYEEI staff fear that the merger would essentially destroy the Infirmary and scatter its community-focused services all over the map, while preservationists don’t want to see 218 Second Ave. demolished.

“We are still awaiting answers to questions we’ve asked of Mount Sinai throughout this process,” said the letter signed by Assembly members Harvey Epstein and Deborah Glick, state Sens. Brian Kavanagh and Brad Hoylman-Sigal, Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine and City Council members Carlina Rivera and Christopher Marte.


The six-story 1902 building at 218 Second Ave., between East 13th and 14th streets.
The six-story 1902 building at 218 Second Ave., between East 13th and 14th streets.

Dr. Richard Koplin, a longtime attending physician at NYEEI, hailed the panel’s vote as a “huge victory for the thousands of patients who receive care at the Infirmary every year, and for the doctors, elected leaders, and community members who have spoken up repeatedly to prevent the destruction of this 200-year old institution.

“Mount Sinai has been misleading and non-communicative about their plans for the hospital, and even referred to the fact that this is a precursor to selling the property,” Koplin said.

However, in an “update” issued on Friday, Mount Sinai president Dr. Jeremy Boal and NYEEI president Dr. James C. Tsai claimed that the proposal was “strictly technical in nature” and that it  would now go to the state “for a final decision without a formal recommendation.”

[Written in collaboration with other media outlets with information from the following sources]

Tags: Businesseast villagemergers & acquisitionsmount sinai hospitalReal Estaterealty check
Previous Post

Retailers busting thieves with facial-recognition tech used at MSG

Next Post

Sacre Boulud! Famed chef to bring back beloved cafe on Upper East Side

Related Posts

Carl’s Jr. crushed by California’s economic climate, violence-stricken workers
Business

Carl’s Jr. crushed by California’s economic climate, violence-stricken workers

May 18, 2026
Kwiat NYC Flagship store at 713 Madison Avenue.
Business

Madison Avenue is still shopping’s gold standard

May 17, 2026
illustration four people sitting holding paper wit a red and white now hiring sign behind them and robots all around them
Business

Artificial intelligence job screeners prefer AI-written resumes over human ones, researchers find

May 16, 2026
Gary Vaynerchuk
Business

Trading cards are now a $50 billion global industry

May 15, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Sacre Boulud! Famed chef to bring back beloved cafe on Upper East Side

Sacre Boulud! Famed chef to bring back beloved cafe on Upper East Side

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Why Steve Gelbs abruptly left SNY’s broadcast during Mets’ epic comeback win
  • Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade $10, get $10 for Sabres vs. Canadiens
  • Google is rolling out its redesigned Workspace app icons
  • Carl’s Jr. crushed by California’s economic climate, violence-stricken workers
  • bet365 bonus code: Bet $10, get $200 in bonus bets for Yankees vs. Blue Jays

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Why Steve Gelbs abruptly left SNY’s broadcast during Mets’ epic comeback win
  • Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade $10, get $10 for Sabres vs. Canadiens
  • Google is rolling out its redesigned Workspace app icons

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,950)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,695)
  • Technology (7,000)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.