Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Sunday, May 17, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

Canadian official threatens to cut 1.5M Americans’ power in potential Trump trade war

in Business
Reading Time: 3 mins read
390 21
A A
0
Canadian official threatens to cut 1.5M Americans' power in potential Trump trade war
137
SHARES
6.8k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare


A senior Canadian official is threatening to cut off electricity to some 1.5 million Americans and ban the import of US-made beer and liquor as part of a potential trade war with the incoming Trump administration.

Doug Ford, the premier of the Canadian province of Ontario, suggested retaliating against possible tariffs that President-elect Donald Trump has threatened to impose on products from Canada.

During a meeting on Wednesday with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other premiers, Ford predicted that there is a “100%” chance that Trump will make good on his pledge to slap a 25% tariff on all products that are imported from north of the border.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has threatened to escalate a potential trade with the incoming Trump administration. AP

In response, Ford proposed to “cut off” millions of Americans living along the northern frontier from Ontario’s energy exports, according to Global News.

“It would turn off the lights to a million-and-a-half Americans,” Ford told Global News. “If they come at us we have to stand up for Canadians, we have to stand up for Ontarians.”

Canada is the nation’s No. 1 exporter of energy to the US, which spends around $3 billion annually for Canadian electricity, which is generated using hydropower.

Last year, Canada exported approximately 33.2 million megawatt hours of electricity to the US — the most of any country though it still accounted for less than 1% of total US energy consumption.

Ontario exports energy to border states including Michigan and New York.

Ontario government officials told Global News that Ford is mulling “escalation maneuvers” that are still being worked out.

President-elect Donald Trump has vowed to slap tariffs on imports from Canada. Aristide Economopoulos

Among the measures being discussed are restricting exports of Canadian minerals that are critical for production of electric vehicle batteries.

Ontario could also ban US companies from the province’s procurement process as well as restrict imports of American-made alcohol.

One source told the news site that the province was “deadly serious” about a possible trade war escalation despite the fact that Ontario could stand to lose up to $500 million in revenue.

Other Canadian provinces could also join in to inflict more pain on Americans, according to the report.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has reportedly told Trump that tariffs would “kill” his country’s economy. AP

“Shutting off its electricity is one thing,” a source told Global News. “Ontario and Quebec shutting off electricity is entirely another thing.”

Ford told reporters that Ontario was “sending a message” to the US.

“You come in and attack Ontario … we’re going to use every tool in our toolbox to defend Ontarians and Canadians across the border,” he said.

“Let’s hope that never comes to that point.”

Trump last month vowed that one of his first acts as commander-in-chief will be to impose a sweeping 25% tariff on all products imported from Canada and Mexico.

Trump, 78, argued that the duty is necessary to get America’s northern and southern neighbors to crack down on illegal immigration and drug smuggling.

“As everyone is aware, thousands of people are pouring through Mexico and Canada, bringing Crime and Drugs at levels never seen before,” the president-elect wrote on Truth Social.

Trump has demanded that Canada do more to crack down on migrants coming into the US. AP

“Right now a Caravan coming from Mexico, composed of thousands of people, seems to be unstoppable in its quest to come through our currently Open Border.”

Earlier this week, Trump continued to troll Trudeau amid tariff talks, dubbing him “governor” of the “Great State of Canada” after purportedly joking at a private dinner about the American ally to the north becoming the 51st US state.

Trudeau pleaded with Trump not to impose the high tariff because it would “kill” their economy, Fox News reported.

“So your country can’t survive unless it’s ripping off the US to the tune of $100 billion?” Trump reportedly responded, referring to the American trade deficit with Canada. 

The Post has sought comment from the Trump transition team.

[Notigroup Newsroom in collaboration with other media outlets, with information from the following sources]

Tags: BusinessCanadaDonald Trumpjustin trudeautariffsTradeUS News
Previous Post

Trump is weighing up pre-emptive air strikes against Iran’s nuclear facilities to stop them getting nukes – ditching Biden’s diplomatic policy

Next Post

A company is manufacturing the world’s most iconic cars — but there is a twist

Related Posts

Kwiat NYC Flagship store at 713 Madison Avenue.
Business

Madison Avenue is still shopping’s gold standard

May 17, 2026
Foul ball 'cracking' skull of woman at Padres game heard around the world
Sports

Foul ball ‘cracking’ skull of woman at Padres game heard around the world

May 17, 2026
illustration four people sitting holding paper wit a red and white now hiring sign behind them and robots all around them
Business

Artificial intelligence job screeners prefer AI-written resumes over human ones, researchers find

May 16, 2026
Gary Vaynerchuk
Business

Trading cards are now a $50 billion global industry

May 15, 2026
Load More
Next Post
'When you win a contract with Bugatti to make a car for them, you have one shot,' founder Ben Hedley said

A company is manufacturing the world's most iconic cars -- but there is a twist

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Chalkboard promo code NYPOST: Get a 100% deposit match up to $100 + free pick for Cavaliers vs. Pistons
  • Microsoft is retiring Teams’ Together Mode
  • Mets rally from dramatic win over Yankees to take Subway Series
  • Clay Holmes hopeful he’ll avoid surgery with Mets in injury crisis
  • Dabble promo code NYPBONUS: Get $10 when you sign-up for Cavaliers vs. Pistons

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Chalkboard promo code NYPOST: Get a 100% deposit match up to $100 + free pick for Cavaliers vs. Pistons
  • Microsoft is retiring Teams’ Together Mode
  • Mets rally from dramatic win over Yankees to take Subway Series

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,949)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,668)
  • Technology (6,992)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.