Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Monday, May 18, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

GM thanks Trump for the $5 billion tariff hit it expects to take

in Technology
Reading Time: 3 mins read
395 16
A A
0
GM thanks Trump for the $5 billion tariff hit it expects to take
137
SHARES
6.9k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare

General Motors CEO Mary Barra kicked off her Q1 letter to shareholders by thanking “President Trump for his support of the U.S. automotive industry.” Several paragraphs later, things take a turn, with Barra projecting an impact of $4 billion to $5 billion as a result of Trump’s ever-changing tariffs.

Barra’s letter was evidence of the delicate line the automaker needs to tread in order to placate the president while also assuring investors that it can weather the financial storm ahead. And in that respect, GM says it has a lot of evidence in its favor.

It’s revenue is up 2 percent year over year, and its making more progress in improving the profitability of its electric vehicle lineup. In that respect, Barra declared that GM had “solidified” its position as the number two seller of EVs in the US, behind Tesla. (With Tesla’s sales and revenue cratering, its not outside the realm of possibility that GM continues to make progress in this department.) Chevy, with its popular Equinox and Blazer EVs, is now the “fastest growing EV brand,” she said. And GM is the largest producer of lithium-ion batteries in the US.

GM is now the number two EV seller in the US, behind Tesla.

The nation’s largest automaker was expecting a pretty robust year of profits until Trump blew everything up with his tariffs. Earlier this week, GM pulled its guidance, explaining that any prediction of profits at this point would be “a guess,” according to The New York Times. The company also postponed its conference call with financial analysts to discuss its first-quarter results by a couple days, while it assessed the impact of the latest curveball from the White House.

On Tuesday, Trump signed a new executive order walking back some of the auto tariffs he claimed just weeks before would lead to a manufacturing renaissance in the US. Now car companies that pay a 25 percent tariff on auto imports won’t have to pay other levies, like on steel and aluminum, or on certain imports from Canada and Mexico. But as its written, the rules don’t appear to protect automakers from tariffs on steel and aluminum that their suppliers pay and then pass on to them.

Analysts have predicted that the tariffs will be armageddon for the auto industry, with sticker prices expected to increase by as much as $10,000. In response, many panicked shoppers have rushed to their local dealership to get while the getting is good. According to J.D. Power, new vehicle sales in April are forecasted to rise 10.5 percent year over year, driven by 139,000 accelerated purchases from buyers trying to lock in pricing. But that’s already starting to cool off, as automakers promised more price stability throughout the summer, according to a survey from Car Dealership Guy.

But Barra’s letter makes no mention of price hikes, panic shopping, or cratering demand. She projects optimism about Trump’s willingness to bend on tariffs, which he has demonstrated repeatedly over the past few weeks. And that’s all she can really do right now.

“We look forward to maintaining our strong dialogue with the Administration on trade and other policies as they continue to evolve,” she wrote. “As you know, there are ongoing discussions with key trade partners that may also have an impact. We will continue to be nimble and disciplined and update you as we know more.”

[Notigroup Newsroom in collaboration with other media outlets, with information from the following sources]

Tags: Carselectric carsGMNewsPolicyTranspo
Previous Post

Pinterest is finally doing something about its AI infestation

Next Post

Fortnite’s Star Wars season will let you fly an X-Wing and use Force Lightning

Related Posts

Google is rolling out its redesigned Workspace app icons
Technology

Google is rolling out its redesigned Workspace app icons

May 18, 2026
Sony’s PS5 sales plummet amid price rises and a memory crisis
Technology

Sony is raising short-subscription prices for PlayStation Plus

May 18, 2026
Linus Torvalds says Linux security list is becoming ‘unmanageable’ due to AI bug reports
Technology

Linus Torvalds says Linux security list is becoming ‘unmanageable’ due to AI bug reports

May 18, 2026
Leaked images reveal Sony’s 10th anniversary ‘ColleXion’ headphones
Technology

Leaked images reveal Sony’s 10th anniversary ‘ColleXion’ headphones

May 18, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Fortnite’s Star Wars season will let you fly an X-Wing and use Force Lightning

Fortnite’s Star Wars season will let you fly an X-Wing and use Force Lightning

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed
  • Why Steve Gelbs abruptly left SNY’s broadcast during Mets’ epic comeback win
  • Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade $10, get $10 for Sabres vs. Canadiens
  • Google is rolling out its redesigned Workspace app icons
  • Carl’s Jr. crushed by California’s economic climate, violence-stricken workers

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Exclusive: Jonah Peretti explains why he sold BuzzFeed
  • Why Steve Gelbs abruptly left SNY’s broadcast during Mets’ epic comeback win
  • Kalshi promo code NYPMAX: Trade $10, get $10 for Sabres vs. Canadiens

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,950)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,695)
  • Technology (7,001)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.