Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Monday, May 18, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

British WW2 submarine that disappeared with 64 on board during secret mission in 1943 is found 81 years later 830ft down on Mediterranean sea bed off Greece

in World News
Reading Time: 6 mins read
407 4
A A
0
137
SHARES
6.9k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare

By Elena Salvoni

Published: 15:28 BST, 7 October 2024 | Updated: 17:16 BST, 7 October 2024

A British World War II submarine that disappeared with 64 crewmembers on board during a secret mission in 1943 has been found off Greece.

The wreck of HMS Trooper has been discovered 830ft below water by a private deep sea research company, solving the 81-year mystery over its whereabouts.

The 275ft-long submarine is cut into three distinct sections, the owner of Planet Blue, the firm that found the vessel, told Greek media.

Costas Thoktaridis said the separation of the bow, middle section and stern confirms HMS Trooper suffered a very violent sinking following a mine explosion.

The discovery of the wreck is hoped to finally bring some closure to the families of the submarine’s crew, which included British submariners and Australian volunteer Lt. John Stuart Ryder, 22. 

HMS Trooper was discovered by a Greek deep sea search team

HMS Trooper was discovered by a Greek deep sea search team

Eerie pictures show fish circling around the barnacle-covered wreckage of the sub

Eerie pictures show fish circling around the barnacle-covered wreckage of the sub

Submariners on board HMS Trooper in a picture dated February 4 1943

Submariners on board HMS Trooper in a picture dated February 4 1943

Archive image shows British Royal Navy Submarine HMS Trooper at sea, date not given

Archive image shows British Royal Navy Submarine HMS Trooper at sea, date not given

Richard Wraith CBE, a captain in the Royal Navy and son of the captain of HMS Trooper said of the news: ‘I have known for many years the painstaking effort of the search team to locate the wreck of the submarine and now I am very pleased and excited that their efforts were rewarded. 

‘I hope that the family members of those lost along with my father will be able to use the Trooper’s definitive status as a reference point to help lay their loved ones’ memories to rest.’

George Malcolmson, former director of the British Royal Navy’s Archive of the Royal Submarine Museum told Greek news agency ANA-MPA that he was ‘very moved’ to hear that Thoktaridis and his team had solved the decades-long mystery.

HMS Trooper launched in October 1943 for a patrol mission between Donoussa islet and Ikaria after British intelligence received information that the Nazis could attempt a new landing in Leros.

The sub was ordered to return to the port of Beirut on October 17, but failed to surface and was reported missing.

It was presumed that it had been struck by a German mine in the Aegean, most likely near Leros. 

It was eventually located between Ikaria and Kos, where it is believed to have been destroyed by a mine

It was eventually located between Ikaria and Kos, where it is believed to have been destroyed by a mine

Efforts to locate the missing sub began in 2000, but more than 14 searches around the Dodecanese failed. 

Searches for its remains were focused in the known German minefields of Leros, Kalymnos and Kos.

It was eventually located between Ikaria and Kos, where it is believed to have been destroyed by a mine laid a few days prior by the German mine-sweeper ‘Drache’.

Researchers who filmed the wreckage said they did not disturb the sub, as it serves as the final resting place of the 64 servicemen who lost their lives that day.

Share or comment on this article:
British WW2 submarine that disappeared with 64 on board during secret mission in 1943 is found 81 years later 830ft down on Mediterranean sea bed off Greece

[Notigroup Newsroom in collaboration with other media outlets, with information from the following sources]

Tags: dailymailGreeceNews
Previous Post

Christian Brueckner speaks for the first time during rape trial as lawyer says he is only facing charges because he is a Madeleine McCann suspect – and judge prepares to give bombshell verdict

Next Post

Paranoid Putin ‘demolishes favourite Black Sea palace love nest where he holidayed with gymnast lover over fears of being targeted in Ukrainian drone attack’

Related Posts

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
Technology

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30

May 18, 2026
PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore
Technology

PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore

May 18, 2026
Walmart launches new budget-friendly Android tablets starting at $97
Technology

Walmart launches new budget-friendly Android tablets starting at $97

May 18, 2026
Elon Musk lost his case against Sam Altman
Technology

Elon Musk lost his case against Sam Altman

May 18, 2026
Load More
Next Post

Paranoid Putin 'demolishes favourite Black Sea palace love nest where he holidayed with gymnast lover over fears of being targeted in Ukrainian drone attack'

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Cam Schlittler: Yankees’ Blue Jays rematch needs to light a fire ‘under everyone’s ass’
  • Cubs’ Pete Crow-Armstrong addresses crude fan interaction
  • Spurs vs. Thunder Game 1 prediction, odds, best bets: Victor Wembanyama leads live underdog in NBA playoffs
  • How to watch Spurs vs. Thunder for free in the WCF: Livestream, start time
  • Get cheap tickets to see the Savannah Bananas in Knoxville

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Cam Schlittler: Yankees’ Blue Jays rematch needs to light a fire ‘under everyone’s ass’
  • Cubs’ Pete Crow-Armstrong addresses crude fan interaction
  • Spurs vs. Thunder Game 1 prediction, odds, best bets: Victor Wembanyama leads live underdog in NBA playoffs

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,951)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,709)
  • Technology (7,006)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.