Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

Battered NYC hotel industry makes comeback — thanks to the migrant crisis

in Business
Reading Time: 11 mins read
399 12
A A
0
According to hotel industry executives, the migrant crisis has caused a resurgence for New York City hotels.
137
SHARES
6.9k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare

The Big Apple’s hotel industry is making a bust-to-boom post-COVID comeback — thanks in large part to the migrant crisis.

Industry bigs tell The Post that business people are looking to buy hotels or even open new ones — spurred by the big bucks the city is having to drop on accommodating asylum-seekers at them, as well as a related dearth of rooms for tourists.

“Who would have thought that hotels would be perceived as a darling asset class compared to office buildings?” said Daniel Lesser, CEO of LW Hospitality Advisors, at a New York Hotel & Hospitality conference held at the New York Marriott Marquis last week, host bisnow.com reported. “That’s what’s happening now.”

Just a few years ago, the COVID-19 outbreak devastated the hotel sector, with travel bans and lockdowns leaving thousands of rooms empty, causing a massive loss of revenue that triggered bankruptcies and closures.

The city’s flood of migrants is helping to change that, with more than 100 hotels now contracting with Mayor Eric Adams’ administration to fill up more 10,000 rooms with asylum-seekers.

Vijay Dandapani, CEO of the Hotel Association of New York City, told The Post there is a “small subset of prospective and current hotel owners” who are considering jumping on the opportunity and buying hotels or opening new ones.


According to hotel industry executives, the migrant crisis has caused a resurgence for New York City hotels.
G.N.Miller/NYPost

He said the migrant situation “has certainly helped the industry overall due to `compression’ brought about by hotel inventory being taken off the transient market.”

Two major Manhattan hotels — the Roosevelt in the Grand Central Terminal area and the Holiday Inn in the Financial District — have already been converted to migrant shelters for the foreseeable future, while Dandapani said most other hotels are providing space on a month-to-month basis.

The conversion of the iconic 1,000-room Roosevelt into a migrant shelter couldn’t have come at a better time for the facility.The Roosevelt closed during the pandemic and remained mothballed until its owners reached a deal with city officials to become a so-called Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center.


A bus of migrants outside of the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan on July 30, 2023.
A bus of migrants outside of the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan on July 30, 2023.
G.N.Miller/NYPost

The Roosevelt has been converted into a migrant shelter for the foreseeable future.
The Roosevelt is one of two city hotels that have been converted into a migrant shelter for the foreseeable future.
Christopher Sadowski

The city entered into an overall $275 million contract with the hotel association earlier this year that set aside 5,000 hotel rooms for migrants.

“We stand ready to do it as long as needed and as long as hotels voluntarily agree to serve this market, which is the case now,” Dandapani said of the pact.

But Dandapani cautioned there are still fewer hotel rooms now than pre-pandemic and that the industry’s business from tourism has not fully recovered, especially compared to other international cities.

The city hotel occupancy rate was still down 12 percentage points in 2022 compared to 2019 and for the first six months of this year is trailing 2019 by an average of 5 points, according to the hotel association
.
“Paris and London, our principal competitors, were ahead of 2019 numbers in 2022, Paris by 15% and London by 7%, whereas NYC was behind 2019 for the year ending 2022,” Dandapani said.


The Holiday Inn in the Financial District is charging the city $190 per room per night.
The Holiday Inn in the Financial District is charging the city $190 per room per night.
AP Photo/John Minchillo

There also are 118,000 hotel rooms in the city now compared to 124,000 before the pandemic, according to the hotel association.

Still, revenue per room is higher than before the pandemic, thanks to the tighter inventory from the migrants and overall fewer spaces.

The Holiday Inn is charging the city $190 per room per night, nearly double the $102 it charged on the market earlier this year, according to court records.    

The question now is, what happens if and when the migrant crisis subsides.

Dandapani said New York’s anti-business climate remains a problem, calling the property tax on hotels the highest in the nation.

City Hall had no immediate comment.

A staggering 93,200 asylum-seekers have arrived in the city since spring 2022 — with more than 2,500 still pouring in weekly.

Adams issued yet another desperate plea for federal help last week. saying, “We have stepped up and led the nation, but this national crisis should not fall on cities alone to navigate.

“We need a national solution here,” said the mayor, who has ripped fellow Dem and President Joe Biden for failing to help.

Last week, 54 other city Democratic lawmakers sent a letter to Biden demanding that the White House step up to help the Big Apple with federal assistance and better control the flow of migrants at the US-Mexico border.

Instead, team Biden only promised a federal liaison — and no additional funds. The paucity of support drew backlash from local lawmakers, who complained the president was ignoring the city’s plight.   

[Written in collaboration with other media outlets with information from the following sources]

Tags: Businesseric adamshotelsillegal immigrantsImmigrationMetromigrants
Previous Post

Troubles for Wall Street office tower worsen as foreclosure looms

Next Post

Mark Zuckerberg seen at Taylor Swift concert wearing face gems

Related Posts

A Pennsylvania woman who thought she was protecting her money instead wired $24,000 straight into the hands of scammers.
Business

Pennsylvania woman loses $24K after falling for ‘Apple high alert’ text scam

May 19, 2026
James Dolan moves to split Knicks, Rangers into separate public companies
Business

James Dolan moves to split Knicks, Rangers into separate public companies

May 18, 2026
Carl’s Jr. crushed by California’s economic climate, violence-stricken workers
Business

Carl’s Jr. crushed by California’s economic climate, violence-stricken workers

May 18, 2026
Kwiat NYC Flagship store at 713 Madison Avenue.
Business

Madison Avenue is still shopping’s gold standard

May 17, 2026
Load More
Next Post
A bedazzled Mark Zuckerberg shared an Instagram post attending Taylor Swift's "Eras Tour" in Santa Clara, Calif. with his wife and daughters.

Mark Zuckerberg seen at Taylor Swift concert wearing face gems

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Base-running error costs Dodgers in 1-0 loss to Padres
  • Depleted Liberty expected to get reinforcements soon
  • NBC’s Spurs-Thunder broadcast marred by ‘ridiculous’ audio issues
  • Juan Soto tells The Post why his Nationals Park receptions are different
  • Knicks’ OG Anunoby listed as probable for Game 1

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Base-running error costs Dodgers in 1-0 loss to Padres
  • Depleted Liberty expected to get reinforcements soon
  • NBC’s Spurs-Thunder broadcast marred by ‘ridiculous’ audio issues

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,952)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,725)
  • Technology (7,007)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.