Noti.Group RSS Feed
  • Contact Us
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Noti Group Logo
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
No Result
View All Result
Noti Group
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

Altria agrees to pay $235M to settle Juul-related cases

in Business
Reading Time: 6 mins read
407 4
A A
0
Altria agrees to pay $235M to settle Juul-related cases
137
SHARES
6.8k
VIEWS
ShareShareShareShareShare

Altria Group said Wednesday that it will pay $235 million to settle at least 6,000 lawsuits accusing it of fueling a teen vaping epidemic through its former investment in e-cigarette maker Juul Labs.

The deal ends nearly all of the litigation brought against the maker of Marlboro cigarettes over Juul by local government bodies and individuals across the US.

It came shortly after San Francisco’s public school district finished presenting its case against the company in a jury trial, which will now be cut short.

Sarah London, one of the lead attorneys for plaintiffs in the litigation, in a statement said the deal would “provide extraordinary and truly meaningful relief for youth, parents, and governmental organizations nationwide.”

Altria expects to record a pre-tax charge of $235 million in the second quarter of 2023 and intends to exclude it from adjusted earnings per share.

“While we continue to believe the claims against us are meritless, we believe this settlement avoids the uncertainty and expense of a protracted legal process and is in the best interest of our shareholders,” said Murray Garnick, Altria’s executive vice president and general counsel.


Altria in March announced that it had given up its 35% stake in Juul in exchange for licenses to some of Juul’s intellectual property.
REUTERS

Juul e-cigarette
The deal ends nearly all of the litigation brought against the tobacco giant over Juul by local government bodies and individuals across the US.
AP

The company in March announced that it had given up its 35% stake in Juul in exchange for licenses to some of Juul’s intellectual property.

As of December, its share of Juul was valued at $250 million, down from $12.8 billion in 2018.

Plaintiffs in the lawsuits claimed that Juul marketed to teenagers with sweet flavors and flashy social media campaigns.

They said Altria helped the strategy by letting Juul use its sales force and place its products next to Altria’s on shelves.

Juul previously settled most of the cases against it, paying more than $1 billion to 48 states and territories and $1.7 billion to individuals and local government entities.

[Written in collaboration with other media outlets with information from the following sources]

Tags: Businesse-cigarettesjuullawsuitsNewssettlements
Previous Post

Bob Iger faces many hurdles as Disney set to report earnings

Next Post

‘Pharma Bro’ Martin Shkreli’s Vyera files for bankruptcy

Related Posts

LG will release the first 1000Hz, 1080p gaming monitor this year
Technology

LG will release the first 1000Hz, 1080p gaming monitor this year

May 19, 2026
A Pennsylvania woman who thought she was protecting her money instead wired $24,000 straight into the hands of scammers.
Business

Pennsylvania woman loses $24K after falling for ‘Apple high alert’ text scam

May 19, 2026
Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
Technology

Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30

May 18, 2026
PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore
Technology

PlayStation exclusives aren’t coming to PC anymore

May 18, 2026
Load More
Next Post
Former drug company executive Martin Shkreli stands with his attorney Benjamin Brafman after exiting U.S. District Court upon being convicted of securities fraud, in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, U.S., August 4, 2017.

'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli's Vyera files for bankruptcy

No Result
View All Result

Recent Posts

  • Base-running error costs Dodgers in 1-0 loss to Padres
  • Depleted Liberty expected to get reinforcements soon
  • NBC’s Spurs-Thunder broadcast marred by ‘ridiculous’ audio issues
  • Juan Soto tells The Post why his Nationals Park receptions are different
  • Knicks’ OG Anunoby listed as probable for Game 1

Recent Comments

  • Stefano on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Van Hens on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Ioannis K on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • Panagiotis Nikolaos on The Last Byzantine Medieval Town on Earth Is Being Destroyed, and It’s Too Late
  • John Miele on UK government suggests deleting files to save water

Noti Group All rights reserved

No Result
View All Result
Noti Group

What’s New Here

  • Base-running error costs Dodgers in 1-0 loss to Padres
  • Depleted Liberty expected to get reinforcements soon
  • NBC’s Spurs-Thunder broadcast marred by ‘ridiculous’ audio issues

Topics to Cover!

  • Business (4,952)
  • Entertainment (2,014)
  • General News (326)
  • Health (327)
  • Investigative Journalism (12)
  • Lifestyle (4)
  • Sports (10,725)
  • Technology (7,007)
  • World News (1,336)
  • Contact Us
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • RSS
  • Contact News Room
  • Code of Conduct
  • Careers
  • Values
  • Advertise
  • DMCA

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World News
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Entertainment

© 2025 - noti.group - All rights reserved - noti.group runs on 100% green energy.