Game-winning goals with .7 seconds left on the clock are quite rare…and from a defenseman. It almost never happens. Well, this Rangers team continues finding new ways to win after that thriller on Sunday night thanks to Ryan Lindgren. While the team is cruising along in the victory column at 11-4-3, they still have a big question mark when it comes to the backup goalie spot. What do they do with Alexandar Georgiev?
To answer that question and dive into everything Blueshirts, we bring you a special Tuesday Thanksgiving week edition of the “Up In The Blue Seats” podcast with Ron Duguay and Mollie Walker. With two games ahead against the Islanders, including the first Rangers-Islanders game at UBS Arena on Wednesday, we figured it was a good time to bring Islanders legend Denis Potvin on the show. He still hears the “Potvin sucks” chants 35 years later.
Up In The Blue Seats Podcast with Ron, Mollie & Jake:
- LAST-SECOND WIN: Lindgren continues making heads-up plays. Adam Fox continues to impress and was huge on that goal. While it’s not always pretty, this team is getting victories.
- GOALTENDING: Rangers have been cautious with Igor Shesterkin, giving him games off. Georgiev has not been the same as he was. They need to find someone else in the organization or outside to replace him.
- UBS ARENA/THANKSGIVING: Mollie says UBS Arena is incredible and there are plenty of bathrooms, so no more long lines. Islanders did a great job with it. Ron will go to his ex-wife’s house in Arizona for Thanksgiving and then a gender reveal in California for his daughter having a new baby.
Larry Brooks Interview:
noti.group’s Senior NHL Reporter/Columnist
- GEORGIEV: Needs a fresh start elsewhere. Lists some names that could make sense for the Rangers to trade for.
- DEFENSE: They need to address their problems on defense.
- POTVIN: Memories covering Potvin over the years and maybe not giving him enough credit for how good he was.
Denis Potvin Interview:
Islanders legend, Hall of Famer, 4-time Stanley Cup champion
- POTVIN SUCKS CHANTS: He still hears it today and it is heard at various arenas, even at Wimbledon. It’s a badge of honor. Rangers fans are actually nice to him in person.
- AL ARBOUR: Had a good relationship and he was a great coach.
- NEW ARENA: Team is struggling, but the arena is beautiful and the Islanders kept some similar things to Nassau Coliseum so it has that feel.
- PLAYING RON: Memories going up against Ron and the Rangers.
Catch up on all episodes of “Up In The Blue Seats,” a New York Rangers podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. New episodes drop Thursdays during the regular season.
Credit: Notigroup Newsroom.
[This article may have been written with information from various sources]